A Walk in the Woods
a Yoga + Mindfulness Lesson Plan for ages 2-13
“Leave No Trace” means walking on existing trails, leaving rocks, plants and other natural objects where they are while deeply respecting the wildlife. These principles help wilderness users make smart decisions in the woods, so that they may leave the area as beautiful and natural as they found it, which is what we teach kids in Next Generation Yoga’s Lesson Plan: “A Walk in the Woods.”
With easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions, “A Walk in the Woods” features a theme-specific playlist, Sun and rain celebrations and an exploration of animals who call the woods their home. This original NGY Lesson Plan inspires 2-7 yr. olds. to love and appreciate the woods using a fun and mindful methodology. As always, there are Yoga poses, Creative Movements, educational facts, guided visualizations, and suggestions for how to share this lesson in a Family Yoga class. Written by NGY Founder, Jodi Komitor & NGY Teacher, Nicole Koleshis, we’ll show you how to infuse the “A Walk in the Woods” theme into a class, specifically designed for 2-7 and 8-13 year olds.
Whether you are a parent, school-based educator, or an experienced or new yoga teacher, NGY Lesson Plans are for you and the children in your life. They are thoughtfully designed so that everyone can learn something new.
Here’s just some of what you’ll receive:
- A complete lesson plan for 2-7 year olds that may be enjoyed for 30-45 minutes
- A complete lesson plan for 8-13 year olds that may be enjoyed for 45-60 minutes
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm-up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
NGY Lesson Plans are delivered electronically in PDF format – easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!