a Yoga + Mindfulness Lesson Plan for ages 2-12
In this NGY Lesson Plan, Affirmation Station, kids are invited to learn about themselves through affirmations–positive statements that remind us of our best qualities and potential. We build our affirmation habits by taking a train trip, where we observe the world around us and learn how to see ourselves, too. In Affirmation Station, you’ll visit a mountain town, a sculpture garden, a nature preserve, and so much more. All aboard for the Affirmation Station!
Yoga poses, creative movements, meditation prompts, learning points, and breath exercises invite children to learn about powerful affirmations as they travel by train to the Affirmation Station. Theme-specific tunes, options for family and partner poses, a guided relaxation activity, and ideas to extend the lesson’s fun are also included. This creative lesson plan can be used any time of the year!
This NGY Lesson Plan Includes:
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
- And a one-page lesson plan “cheat sheet” — a quick guide for handy reference.
NGY Lesson Plans are delivered electronically in PDF format – easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!