All the Feels
a Yoga + Mindfulness Lesson Plan for Tweens & Teens
Tweens and teens have big, complicated emotions that can be tough to navigate under the best of circumstances. Throw in school and activity cancellations, isolation from friends and family, and all of the other changes, fear, and uncertainty that can come along with a global pandemic, and it can be overwhelming.
This Next Generation Yoga Lesson Plan invites students to notice and accept all of their emotions, positive and negative, empowering them with the knowledge and understanding to self-regulate. This peaceful and enlightening yoga practice encourages students to look inward while fostering a sense of togetherness in knowing that we ALL feel All the Feels. This NGY Lesson Plan includes:
- An introduction to successfully sharing yoga with the tweens and tweens in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new yoga teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, music, and more to enhance the experience
- Ideas for taking the theme off the mat to help tweens and teens incorporate their practice into their daily lives.
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with tweens and tweens in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach through multiple pathways: physical, social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus Sanskrit names when appropriate.
- A one-page lesson plan “cheat sheet” — a quick guide for handy reference.
NGY Lesson Plans are delivered electronically in PDF format – easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!