Helping Heroes* is inspired by the frontline workers of the COVID-19 crisis. As a way of expressing our gratitude, NGY has crafted a lesson plan that honors those whose work contributes to the greater good and supports society. This reflective yoga + mindfulness session guides children to recognize that there are many helpers and that they can be helping heroes, too.
*Are you a COVID-19 Helping Hero? We want to give you a FREE copy of this lesson plan to thank you for all you’re doing to support your communities. Please email Sarah @ Sarah@NextGenerationYoga.com for more info.*
Yoga poses, creative movements, meditation prompts, learning points, and breath exercises invite children to learn about various occupations and how they serve others. Theme-specific tunes, options for family and partner poses, a guided relaxation script,and ideas to extend the lesson with other creative activities are also included. This unique lesson plan can be used any time of the year.
This NGY Lesson Plan Includes:
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive, and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
- And a one-page lesson plan “cheat sheet” — a quick guide for handy reference.
NGY Lesson Plans are delivered electronically in PDF format – easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!