NGY Lesson Plan: Nutcracker Sweet
By Sarah Henderson, E-RYT 200/RYT 500 – NGY Storyteller
In this NGY Lesson Plan, Nutcracker Sweet, we experience the magic and mystery of the story of the Nutcracker. Students will experience the classic Christmas story of the young girl Clara and her dreamy visit to the Land of Sweets with her nutcracker toy, come to life!
Yoga poses, creative movements, meditation prompts, learning points, and breath exercises invite children to play their way through this fantasy-filled holiday favorite. Suggestions on including music from the classical score, options for family and partner poses, a guided relaxation activity, and ideas to extend the lesson’s learning are also included. This creative lesson plan can be used any time of the year, but especially during the holidays!
Every NGY Kids Yoga + Mindfulness Lesson Plan includes:
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga + Mindfulness with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, books, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
- And a one-page lesson plan “cheat sheet” — a quick guide for handy reference.
This NGY Lesson Plan is delivered in PDF format–easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!