Our Best Friend – All About Dogs!
You’ve heard the saying that dogs are our best friends. This original Next Generation Yoga Lesson Plan, Our Best Friend – All About Dogs!, shows us why. Dogs are amazing companions and helpers, and beyond that, they are playful and cute!
Our Best Friend – All About Dogs! for 2-7 year olds (30-45 minutes) gives a playful glimpse into the life of a dog … their habits, preferences, and needs. Kids can use their imaginations to have a dog day by exploring yoga, creative movement, music and song, and more! The visualized meditation at the end invites children into a doggy dream, where creativity knows no limits.
Our Best Friend – All About Dogs! for 8-13 year olds (45-60 minutes) teaches children about several breeds of dogs, where in the world they come from, and what makes each breed special. Familiar tunes reinforce the theme about how dogs are such great friends to humans. The visualized meditation at the end invites children to reflect on their own characteristics and imagine what kind of dog they would be if they were a dog!
Whether you are a parent, caregiver, an experienced or new Yoga Teacher, this lesson plan is for you and the children in your life any time of the year. It is thoughtfully designed so that everyone can learn and implement something new.
These NGY Lesson Plans include:
- A complete lesson plan for 2-7 year olds that may be enjoyed for 30-45 minutes
- A complete lesson plan for 8-13 year olds that may be enjoyed for 45-60 minutes
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm-up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
- And a one-page lesson plan “cheat sheet” — a quick guide for handy reference.
NGY Lesson Plans are delivered electronically in PDF format – easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!
Free Lesson Plan!
Ready to teach kids, but not sure where to start? Get your FREE Kids Yoga Lesson Plan here!"Every Day Mindfulness"