NGY Lesson Plan: Turtle Island
By Sarah Henderson, E-RYT 200/RYT 500 – NGY Storyteller
In this NGY Lesson Plan, Turtle Island, we explore the traditions and stories of Native Americans and First Nations People in North America. Students will explore the traditions of connection to the natural world, while learning about the power of storytelling and observation.
Yoga poses, creative movements, meditation prompts, learning points, and breath exercises invite children to learn about Indigenous traditions from tribes around North America. Theme-specific tunes performed by Indigenous artists, options for family and partner poses, a guided relaxation activity, and ideas to extend the lesson’s learning are also included. This creative lesson plan can be used any time of the year!
Every NGY Kids Yoga + Mindfulness Lesson Plan includes:
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga + Mindfulness with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, books, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
- And a one-page lesson plan “cheat sheet” — a quick guide for handy reference.
This NGY Lesson Plan is delivered in PDF format–easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!