We are Family
a Yoga + Mindfulness Lesson Plan for ages 2-13
Family Yoga is a special bonding opportunity for adults and children alike. It creates peace and love in families, and is just so much fun! Next Generation Yoga’s Lesson Plan, “We are Family” provides step-by-step instructions on how to teach a Family Yoga session in any setting including a Yoga studio, school, the living room, and backyard.
When families are given opportunities to support each other in partner poses, offer each other assistance during relaxation and laugh together on the mat, they develop skills of togetherness and strategies for communication to take off the mat and into the home. Included in this Next Generation Yoga Lesson Plan are a special family meditation, music recommendations and a suggestion for how to make the final relaxation extra special. Written by NGY Founder, Jodi B Komitor & NGY Teacher Nicole Koleshis, this Next Generation Yoga Lesson Plan will show you how to infuse the “We Are Family” theme into a Family Yoga session, specifically designed for 2-7 and 8-13 year olds.
Whether you are a parent, school-based educator, or an experienced or new yoga teacher, NGY Lesson Plans are for you and the children in your life. They are thoughtfully designed so that everyone can learn something new.
Here’s just some of what you’ll receive:
- A complete lesson plan for 2-7 year olds that may be enjoyed for 30-45 minutes
- A complete lesson plan for 8-13 year olds that may be enjoyed for 45-60 minutes
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm-up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
NGY Lesson Plans are delivered electronically in PDF format – easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!