Yoga is NOT Competitive
On a daily basis, most children participate in activities that are competitive. While a little healthy competition has its perks, there is no place for it in Yoga. Yoga is unique because it is not competitive, not amongst others or our selves! It does not matter how flexible someone is or how long the person next to you can hold a pose because we are all different. Yoga is for everyone and we all reap the same benefits. This powerful concept is woven throughout Next Generation Yoga’s Lesson Plan, “Yoga is NOT Competitive!”
Children will engage in 5 easy-to-follow and age-appropriate Yoga games throughout the “Yoga is NOT Competitive!” class. In these games, no one loses or gets out while fun, teamwork, and non-competitiveness are the focus. Complete with the most extensive prop list yet, this lesson plan also includes music suggestions and Family Yoga recommendations. Written by NGY Founder, Jodi B Komitor & NGY Teacher Nicole Koleshis, this Next Generation Yoga Lesson Plan will show you how to infuse the “Yoga is NOT Competitive!” theme into a Yoga class, specifically designed for 2-7 and 8-13 year olds.
Whether you are a parent, school-based educator, or an experienced or new yoga teacher, NGY Lesson Plans are for you and the children in your life. They are thoughtfully designed so that everyone can learn something new.
Here’s just some of what you’ll receive:
- A complete lesson plan for 2-7 year olds that may be enjoyed for 30-45 minutes
- A complete lesson plan for 8-13 year olds that may be enjoyed for 45-60 minutes
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm-up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
NGY Lesson Plans are delivered electronically in PDF format – easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!