NEW Next Generation Yoga Lesson Plan:
Available for teachering 2-7 and 8-13 year olds
Humans love holidays! Wherever you go, there are special days to mark special occasions. This yoga and mindfulness lesson plan adventure from Next Generation Yoga helps children learn about how and why people celebrate. Holiday Happenings lets everyone take part in the celebrations!
Yoga poses, creative movements, meditation prompts, and breath exercises invite children to explore Holiday Happenings. Theme-specific tunes, options for family/partner poses, a guided relaxation activity, and ideas to extend the lesson’s fun are also included. This lesson plan can be used any time of the year and has two versions: one for 2-7 year olds (30-45 minutes) and one for 8-13 year olds (45-60 minutes).
Holiday Happenings for 2-7 year olds (30-45 minutes) guides kids through a calendar year of festivity and fun. Beginning with New Year’s Eve and ending with Kwanzaa, this lesson offers kids a chance to learn new things and connect with familiar traditions, too! The visualized meditation at the end invites children to imagine their own special day in an imaginary birthday party just for them! Join us for Holiday Happenings!
Holiday Happenings for 8-13 year olds (45-60 minutes) invites children to learn about the ways that holidays are celebrated in cultures near and far through yoga, creative movement, music, and more. Festivities explored include Diwali, Lunar New Year, Eid al-Fitr, Earth Day, Kwanzaa, and the International Day of Peace, as well as several other holidays. (The For More Fun section includes a list of silly holidays!) The visualized meditation at the end guides children through a sensory journey as they remember their learning and fun. Join us for Holiday Happenings!
This NGY Lesson Plan includes:
- An introduction to successfully sharing Kids Yoga with the children in your life, whether you are a parent, caregiver, a school professional, or an experienced or new Kids Yoga Teacher.
- A detailed and easy to follow script for the teacher/leader.
- A complete Kids Yoga class theme and sequence including an introduction to the topic, breathing exercises, a warm up, an active pose series, a cool down, and a guided meditation and relaxation exercise. The lesson plan theme works, whether taught from beginning to end or in pieces.
- Ideas for activities, props, songs, and more to add to the fun!
- Suggestions for how to relationally connect with children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Opportunities to teach children through multiple pathways: physical (gross and fine motor), social-emotional, sensory, creative, cognitive and intellectual learning.
- A how-to glossary of poses and breathing exercises used in the lesson plan that includes traditional names plus kid-friendly and/or Sanskrit names when appropriate.
- And a one-page lesson plan “cheat sheet” — a quick guide for handy reference.
NGY Lesson Plans are delivered electronically in PDF format – easy to download & print or view on a tablet or e-reader!